Principal Investigator

Awardee Organization

University Of Maryland Baltimore
United States

Fiscal Year
Activity Code
Early Stage Investigator Grants (ESI)
Not Applicable
Project End Date

Plasma biomarkers for lung cancer diagnosis

-Abstract Because the early detection of lung cancer by low-dose CT (LDCT) can reduce the mortality, annual LDCT screening is now being reimbursed by Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) for smokers insured through Medicare. However, more than one-quarter of screens discover indeterminate pulmonary nodules (PNs). 4% of PNs are early-stage lung cancers, while the remaining 96% are benign. Therefore, LDCT has over-diagnosis. There is an unmet need for a reflex test for LDCT follow-up to focus care on the 4% smokers need it. The objective of this project is to develop and validate a plasma test for differentiating malignant from benign PNs at baseline LDCT. Future use of this test for discriminating between malignant and benign PNs will complement LDCT for lung cancer detection by reducing the over-diagnosis, and eventually decrease the deaths and cost.


  • Li N, Dhilipkannah P, Jiang F. High-Throughput Detection of Multiple miRNAs and Methylated DNA by Droplet Digital PCR. Journal of personalized medicine. 2021 Apr 29;11. (5). PMID: 33946992
  • Li N, Holden VK, Deepak J, Todd NW, Jiang F. Autoantibodies against tumor-associated antigens in sputum as biomarkers for lung cancer. Translational oncology. 2021 Feb;14(2):100991. Epub 2020 Dec 14. PMID: 33333369
  • Leng Q, Holden VK, Deepak J, Todd NW, Jiang F. Microbiota Biomarkers for Lung Cancer. Diagnostics (Basel, Switzerland). 2021 Feb 27;11. (3). PMID: 33673596
  • Zhou H, Liao J, Leng Q, Chinthalapally M, Dhilipkannah P, Jiang F. Circulating Bacterial DNA as Plasma Biomarkers for Lung Cancer Early Detection. Microorganisms. 2023 Feb 25;11. (3). PMID: 36985157