The US-Latin American-Caribbean HIV/HPV-Cancer Prevention Clinical Trials Network (ULACNet) focuses on developing evidence to improve and optimize approaches for prevention of human papillomavirus (HPV)-related cancers in people living with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
This international collaborative research network brings together institutions in the United States and counterparts in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) in the Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) region. Funded in Fall 2019 via a U54 Partnership Centers Cooperative Agreement mechanism, ULACNet comprises of three Partnership Centers each collaboratively conducting a multidisciplinary Clinical Trials Program supported via an infrastructure of an Administrative and Coordinating Core, a Data Management and Statistical Core, and a Central Laboratory Core.
ULACNet investigators collaborate with the NCI to design and conduct clinical trials on three key scientific areas across the continuum of prevention interventions for HPV-related cancers in people living with HIV, including:
- optimizing dosing and delivery and evaluating new indications for HPV prophylactic vaccines;
- evaluating new biomarkers and technologies for improving accuracy of cervical and anogenital cancer screening and triage; and
- evaluating novel non-excisional treatments for HPV-related precancerous lesions.
Outcomes of ULACNet clinical trials are expected to influence the development of clinical practice guidelines to improve preventive clinical care and reduce the burden of highly preventable HPV-related cancers in people living with HIV.
The three ULACNet Partnership Centers include the following collaborations between institutions in the United States and partners in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Peru, Haiti, and Dominican Republic.
The ULACNet Program Director is Vikrant Sahasrabuddhe, M.B.B.S., Dr.P.H. in the NCI Division of Cancer Prevention.
Unified Network Initiative to Enhance Community Dialogue and Site Education (UNITED)
- HIV AIDS Network Coordination (HANC)
- NIAID DAIDS Learning Portal
UNITED Community Engagement Sessions Videos
- Session 1: CAMPO Recruitment Strategies
- Session 2: ULACNet 201
- Session 3: Theoretical and practical recommendations for community-based research to reduce health inequities
- Session 4: Estudio Oportunidad
- Session 5: Staff Education – Launching a Study
- Session 6: Experiences of Women Living with HIV Navigating Health Services and Life