Cancer prevention interventions available today include:
- Medications proven to reduce rsik of breast and colon cancers in those at increased risk.
- Lifestyle choices such as avoid or quit tobacco, limit alcohol, avoid known carcinogens, keep active & avoid obesity.
- Treatments for infections known to increase cancer risk, including hepatitis C, HIV, and H. pylori.
- Screening tests that allow removal of precanceous lesions, such as colon polyps.
- Vaccines to protect against infection with human papillomavirus (HPV) and hepatitis B.
- Surgery to remove tissues at risk, such as for women with increased risk of breast and ovarian cancer.