The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is offering a one-week educational opportunity in Nutrition and Cancer Prevention Research for individuals with a sustained commitment to nutrition and health promotion.
Offered since 2004, this one-week intense learning session provides specialized instruction in the role of diet and bioactive food components as modifiers of cancer incidence and tumor behavior, and engages participants through didactic and interactive experiences. The practicum is not intended to enhance patient education or clinical practice, rather, it is research based and best suited for those interested in expanding their research.
As a participant in this practicum, you will:
- Learn pertinent pre-clinical and clinical studies related to bioactive food components, cancer prevention and survivorship;
- Identify the impact of cutting edge research on cancer prevention, including topics such as the microbiome, nutrigenomics, and bioenergetics;
- Explore the Metabolic Unit at the USDA and tour the National Library of Medicine;
- Collaborate with peers and build your network; and
- Acquire additional skills to formulate research ideas and communicate effectively.
This practicum is open, at no cost, to those who have a commitment to nutrition including graduate students, registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs), and students enrolled in an ACEND-accredited supervised practice program or combined with undergraduate or graduate studies. Non-government academicians, physicians and other health care professionals in the early stage of their career also are eligible. International applicants are welcome. Room, board, and transportation expenses are the responsibility of the participant. Full week commitment is required.
The John Milner Nutrition and Cancer Prevention Research Practicum will be March 11 - March 15, 2019. The primary location will be at the Shady Grove campus of the National Cancer Institute (NCI), 9609 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD. Transportation will be provided to the additional locations, including the NIH Main Campus, Bethesda, MD and the USDA in Beltsville, MD.
Application is required; space is limited.
Please fill out the John Milner Nutrition and Cancer Prevention Research Practicum Application (DOC, 22 KB), and email Elaine Trujillo the information by Friday, November 30, 2018.
The application deadline for the practicum is November 30, 2018. You will be notified of placement by January 11, 2019.
- Nutritional Science Research Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, NCI, NIH
- Department of Nutrition at the Clinical Center, NIH
- USDA Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center
Continuing Education Credits are available for RDNs.
Elaine Trujillo, MS, RDN
Nutritional Science Research Group
Division of Cancer Prevention
National Cancer Institute
National Institutes of Health
9609 Medical Center Drive, Rm 5E568
Rockville, MD 20850
Phone (240) 276-7116